It’s clear that voice user interfaces are giving brands a revolutionary way of communicating with customers. Allowing brands to develop deeper relationships with their customers, these Internet Of Things products combine the real-time aspect of cutting edge technology with one of the most primal communications known to the human race – voice.
- Invoca reported that 49% of millennials are looking down at their phone less after using a virtual assistant.
- Steve Rabuchin, VP of Amazon Alexa: “Our vision is that customers will be able to access Alexa whenever and wherever they want. That means customers may be able to talk to their cars, refrigerators, thermostats, lamps, and all kinds of devices in and outside their homes”.
Opportunities for marketers:
- Interacting with older generations that aren’t tech savvy.
- Interacting with disabled or visually impaired consumers.
- Allowing brands to break the consumer worry of smartphone usage and excessive screen-time.
- Connectivity of other smart devices, including thermostats, smart fridges, cars, etc.
- Many industry experts predict that voice technology will be integrated into every online application within the next 5 years.
What brands are doing:
Domino’s pizza has successfully created an “Amazon Skill” on platform Amazon Alexa, allowing customers to order a pizza with six simple words: “Alexa, ask Domino’s to feed me”.
Laundry Detergent brand “Tide” has also created an “Amazon Skill” giving customers real-time tips on removing stains.
The opportunities are endless during these early stages of voice user interfaces. With the global uptake of these Internet Of Things devices only set to increase, brands should take advantage of this experimental stage.
- Ray Wang Founder of Constellation Research: “They should get into it early to experiment and then see what the results are. Early adopters in early forms of media channels often reap disproportionate benefits vs. those who come late.”
How do you see brands connecting with customers through virtual assistants? I’d love to hear your thoughts below!